I Waited 30 years for "25 years of Rock" then 50 years comes along at once

billfromnorthwales billfromnorthwales@...
Sat May 7 15:26:13 CEST 2011

the "Sounds of the 20th Century" programme is getting quite interesting
now, so I thought I would dig out my "25 Years of Rock" cassettes to
compare and contrast.

So 1955 is HERE
<http://www.peel.mooo.com/peelgroup/BillfromNorthWales/25%20Years%20of%2\
0Rock%20%281980%29/1980-06-22%20BBC%20R1%2025%20Years%20of%20Rock%20Part\
%201%20-%201955.mp3>

It is very, very similar, but like they dropped the clips and had to put
them back together from memory.

The main thing for me is now Radio 2's Jeremy Vine speaks to you as if
you were a dullard, where the Radio 1 presenter from 1980 Stuart Grundy
thinks you are at least slightly higher up the evolutionary ladder.

Anyway back to 1955, the first 12 mins are a bit ropey in quality (the
mini tour), but it gets much better when the year starts.

I guess I am going to post these in parallel with SOTTC, for my own
amusement, if not any one elses

Bill

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "billfromnorthwales"
<billfromnorthwales@...> wrote:

> Older radio 1 listeners may remember a programme from 1980 called "25
> Years of Rock" that documented each year as a montage of news audio
> clips and music.
>
> It covered 1955 to 1979
>
> I really remember it as being an excellent series
>
> Well I have most of the full series on cassette waiting to digitise,
and
> patch, and make complete, but it looks like I may not have to since
BBC