I Hear These Sounds In My Head....

bty997881 unity.gain@...
Mon Mar 21 11:45:53 CET 2011

Hi Ken
     Not sure about a trim-phone, but I'm fairly sure I can hear a bit of 'pre-echo' just before the second note  of that slide phrase.
 It can happen when a tape that was recorded a bit 'hot' is not stored properly, ie. is kept 'head' out instead of 'tail out', as it should be.
 The result is 'print through' where some of the tape is imprinted with signal from the layer above, forming a kind of echo in reverse.
 Storing a tape tail out, doesn't actually prevent print-through, but at least it comes out as a proper echo, which is more acceptable.
 The classic example is the "Waaaaay down inside...." solo in the middle of 'Whole Lotta Love', but then that is so noticeable, I have a feeling they must have done it deliberately.
 But of course you know all this!
Cheers
Roger