[peel] Re: 99 Red Balloons

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Fri Jul 29 12:12:36 CEST 2011

At 10:02 29/07/2011, you wrote:

>I guess that would be tales from topographic oceans. Its possible i
>do recall Peel playing both sides of Tubular Bells back in the 70s
>when Mike Oldfield was an unknown, but by the time of topographic
>oceans, Yes would be in the stadium rock category so not really the
>type of artist by then that Peel would champion by playing a whole
>double album.

It was quite normal for Peel play the whole of new records because
they were considered as 'reviews' and therefore exempt from the needletime
restrictions.  It let him use the rest of the show to play what he wanted

Also remember that Peel was a major figure in getting prog rock on the radio
as he was many other types of music.  He only tired of it in the 80s

martinw