calling all punks (wiki help appeal)

steve saipanda@...
Sun Jul 17 12:14:32 CEST 2011

Just had this bounce back to me from a few days ago...

Hi folks,

Further to Mark's comments, as far as the wiki goes, be great to have as many pages as possible about anything and everything related to Peel.

What I would see as the long-term aim is to create some kind of comprehensive online "Peel Encyclopedia." As Mark points out, beyond the musical area, his interests extended out to things such as The Archers and Monster Trucks (neither of which have pages at the moment, incidentally).

To take the Archers example, the point would not be to lay out the full history of the show - in fact, would be good to avoid this, beyond a very brief introduction - but to center it on Peel's comments about it, involvement, etc (with Walters).

At the moment, there's a focus on building up the show tracklistings (including comments made during shows). This could lay the foundations and provide materials for more extensive pages on various subjects, as well as artist pages and pages for different genres (eg, the recent reggae page), as suggested by Mark.

I know people are busy and stuff (me too), but if you'd like to join in - to add new pages on favourite artists, add further information, etc), please feel most welcome to go ahead.

Editing is actually very simple - just click on the big red edit button near the top of all the pages, add whatever you want, then at the bottom of the editing window click Publish.

As a kind of starter, one sadly neglected page that I'm sure many people could help out on is a genre one similar to the recent one on reggae, on Punk:

http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/Punk

Always amazed at the wide-ranging musical knowledge of this group and would be great to harness this for the wiki, which developed in the first place as a kind of extension of the mailing list.

Finally, would like to thank the many people who have already taken time to contribute to the wiki and also those who continue to share old shows with us.

Cheers,

SW