[peel] 14 FM tapes from 2000

Stuart stuartb@...
Mon Jan 31 21:25:45 CET 2011

Hi Ed

I think anything is a vintage show, especially if from dates not previously
available!

If your tape deck is the one you recorded them on, things become quite
simple, in that you shouldn't have to worry about the problems that can
arise from playing back on a different deck.

For example, tape running too slow, too fast, a different Dolby level, and
squee-whiff azimuth tracking, the latter two of which can cause tapes to
sound muffled.

All you need then, is a copy of Audacity 1.3.9 Beta (open source) and a twin
phono-plug to 3.5mm jack to connect the cassette deck to the PC.

Depending on your motherboard or sound card, you should be able to choose
"Line In" in the record section of Audacity, failing that "What U Hear"
though in the latter case you will need to mute Windows sounds to stop
browsing click or email notification noises coming through.

Test one of the tapes for volume, if things are configured correctly the
sound level bars will move on Audacity, just make sure that the peak levels
remain below 0.0 or else the sound will clip. The sliders control the sound
level.

You can edit the resultant Audacity project to remove any tape flip gaps
etc, then export to mp3. (You will need to download the lame mp3 encoder for
Audacity, it's just a file, that Audacity needs to know where it is before
it can encode to mp3).

Then by getting a free account on Mediafire you can upload these tapes, and
post to the group!

There are tracklistings for these programmes on the wiki
http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/2000

If it is not the same cassette deck you recorded from then I would be happy
to perform the task as my deck has a pitch control and easy azimuth
adjustments.

Stuart

  _____