[peel] Re: A Perfect Storm

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Sun Jan 23 23:27:06 CET 2011

At 20:19 23/01/2011, you wrote:

>As far as I can recall this was the only release through the pages
>of NME as I never saw any other records offered which at the time I
>thought was a real shame as the original intention seemed to
>indicate this was going to be a series of records or was it just
>wishful thinking ?
>perhaps there was too many obstcales in the way
>
>It does seem a shame that the BBC don't think along the lines of
>issueing limited vinyl editions of peel sessions similar to the
>original Strange Fruit editions as I'm sure this would be popular as
>you only have to look at the Trojan Records website as they have
>started a Limited numbered edition 7" series
>Just a thought !
>
>Alan

The problem as always is that the BBC don't have the rights to the
material to issue them
The BBC just have broadcast rights and 7 day Internet rights
The actual sessions are owned by whoever was the artist's record
label at the time
unless the artist wasn't signed in which case everyone on the session
has to agree
Most of Strange Fruit's time was spent tracing musicians and getting
their permission
and if you look at people whose stuff was issued on Strange Fruits
it's almost always people
who weren't signed to major labels at the time

martinw