400 Box (another one from summer 79)

steve saipanda@...
Sun Aug 28 05:39:27 CEST 2011

Hi folks,

Sorry for delay in this one, again from our 400 Box of fun:

24 July 1979 (Monitors, Scritti Politti)
http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/24_July_1979

Sorry it's another six-part epic. Be great if someone can sort out a unified version. Many thanks to whoever did the last one (Ray?).

Further to a recent message, the Poison Girls are played on this one. I also remember noticing a bit of a lack of Crass and related artists on shows at the time (with the exception of Honey Bane), which seemed a bit strange as they were so big in the indie charts.

On the Fall in 79 point - I thought they were kind of a grower for Peel, eventually emerging unchallenged. As a counter-example, the Undertones seemed to start big, big, big, but didn't last the distance in the same way (although Teenage Kicks obviously did).

Anyway...

Cheers,

SW