[peel] Re: 'In Concert' Sad Cafe, Red Noise etc

MARK LUETCHFORD M.Luetchford@...
Fri Apr 15 11:17:32 CEST 2011

that was it the Invisible Girls - Pauline Murray. I always thought they were great and I heard Mr Cooper Clarke the other month on Radclife and Maconie - he's out touring again. The day My Pad Went Mad - a great contribution to the world of music! I heard Jilted John being played over the tannoy in the interval the other day at a comedy gig - and it reminded me that Peel used to play him, Patrik Fitzgerald and Cooper Clarke as a sort of continuation of the great Ivor ...

--- On Thu, 14/4/11, Stuart Mchugh <stuart@vacant.org.uk> wrote:

From: Stuart Mchugh <stuart@...>
Subject: [peel] Re: 'In Concert' Sad Cafe, Red Noise etc
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, 14 April, 2011, 9:56

1f. Re: 'In Concert'  Sad Cafe, Red Noise etc
    Posted by: "MARK LUETCHFORD" M.Luetchford@... m.luetchford@...

didn't he play with some else too? A stint in Siouxie or something? I can remember Peel commenting that Bill and Pete Hammill were part of a very small band of people that he would always listen to what they released as he rather suspected that they knew more about music than he did... and he knew a lot!

Great to hear that Red Noise live set - I never saw them live at the time, though I saw Bill solo a few years ago (sadly, not the Be Bop reunion either, just solo instrumental stuff). I think that he, and Hammill too (saw Van der Graaf the other week!) would occasionally pop into the show for a chat. Bill would bring along new material, which was later released on his fan club label (I think I'm recalling all this correctly...)

I don't think he ever played with Siouxsie, but he was in the Invisible Girls, a backing band (supergroup) for Pauline Murray and John Cooper Clarke, which also included Pete Shelley, Martin Hannett and Vini Reilly among others.

Stuart Mchugh
po box 13516 linlithgow eh49 6wb ...  t: 01506 840063 ...  e: editor@...