[peel] Re: Most surprising records played

David Quantick davidquantick@...
Sat Sep 11 12:47:27 CEST 2010

Cortinas get extra points for being early adopters though, unlike The Exploited, say. Also as first punk band in their city. Also cos Ask Mr Waverly is one of my alltime favourite b-sides.

--- On Sat, 11/9/10, Stuart Mchugh <stuart@...> wrote:

From: Stuart Mchugh <stuart@...>
Subject: [peel] Re: Most surprising records played
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, 11 September, 2010, 11:24

      3.2. Re: Most surprising records played    Posted by: "rockerq@..." rockerq@... rockerq
 <<I thought Marco's band was maybe The Cortinas. Both third division punk acts (with apologies to second division punk acts)>>
 In Bristol the Cortinas were most certainly a premiership punk band, along with Glaxo Babies and The Pop Group, amongst others.

I should probably apologise for what was a tongue-in-cheek comment (after all, for all I know members of the Cortinas could be unsubscribing from the list as I type!)Am still not sure what might constitute premier, first and second division punk-era bands though, if The Clash are top drawer and, say, 999 were chapping on the door by virtue of some nearly-hits... of course, they could both be disqualified for having the nerve to be on major labels and form part of the system...and this was in the days when 'third division" meant the third level, today it'd be the Greggs Chees'n'Onion Pastie Conference or something....
 Stuart Mchughpo box 13516 linlithgow eh49 6wb ...  t: 01506 840063 ...  e: editor@...