[peel] Re: Most surprising records played

Mike Parker parkermike81@...
Mon Sep 6 21:32:16 CEST 2010

yeah but he didn`t appear to care for ''kick'' all that much,       http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BCIL0STY

--- On Mon, 6/9/10, Tim Brooks <tb666xx@...> wrote:

From: Tim Brooks <tb666xx@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [peel] Re: Most surprising records played
To: "peel@yahoogroups.com" <peel@yahoogroups.com>
Cc: "peel@yahoogroups.com" <peel@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Monday, 6 September, 2010, 18:35

I'm a big fan of Adam and the ants. Peel played him quite a bitback in the early days didn't he?

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 6, 2010, at 11:14 AM, "steve" <saipanda@...> wrote:

Good one, Steve. Wiki pages on Patti Smith and Bruce S (a FF entrant in 1976?) would be most excellent.

On the subject of Adam & The Ants, there's a quote of Peel from Peeling Back The Years (show 4) that I can't help a strong twinge of sympathy with (http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/Peeling_Back_The_Years_4_%28Transcript%29):

"I liked the diddlee-qua-qua. I was always very keen on that."

(Stands back for volley of shoes and eggs....)

SW

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "So It Goes 2512" <so_it_goes_2512@...> wrote:

No Steve, your memory is not at fault:

http://johnpeeldotnet.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/no-did-he-really/

from the time when I had a go at writing a couple of pieces for johnpeel.net.
Nice idea for a thread, Stuart, and thanks for your appreciation of the uploads and my piece about Tom Waits. You've actually second-guessed me, as I was mulling over writing pieces about Patti Smith and Bruce Springsteen. Funnily enough, Springsteen did get a bit of airplay, despite John's immortal remark about him being "not so much the future of rock'n'roll as a summary of its past", as JP played tracks from Darkness On The Edge of Town in June 1978.

Best wishes
Steve [TK]

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "steve" <saipanda@> wrote:

Good call by Thomas. It was by Nora O'Connor on the Bloodshot compilation "Down To The Promised Land".

Wiki search finds three plays:
http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/13_June_2001
http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/16_May_2001
http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/14_August_2001

Remember the comments on Waits too, but not sure which of these it was on.

In a similar vein, thought I remembered Steve writing a blog on unexpected plays at Teenage Kicks. Can't seem to find it now (maybe it was somewhere else), but seem to recall such names as Wham and Duran Duran cropping up.

My own favourite was him playing Barbara Cartland - twice - on late 70s/early 80s shows that turned up in the 400 Box.

Cheers,

SW

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Blatchford <tabdrinkink74@> wrote:

i do remember him playing a cover of 'It Looks Like I'm Up Shit Creek Again'
sometime (within the last five years of shows) and back-announcing it by saying
that he never liked Tom Waits at all but maybe after hearing that song he should
give him another try. Not sure if it ever happened.