[peel] My (not so much a box but more several shelves of) Peel Tapes

Philip Edwards festive50@...
Sat Oct 9 14:25:34 CEST 2010

At last.
I've finally gotten around to getting back to digitising my 500+ tapes.
Although I contributed my 20 quid to that 1st box of tapes we collectively
bought a few years back which kicked off these various taping projects, I
probably only got around to downloading about 50 shows.
The reason being, I was waiting to get my new server in a satisfactory
state. Hopefully I will also be looking at getting this working in the near
future.
The vast majority of these tapes (about 90+%) are TDK AD C90s and are
complete shows.
Taking the form of :-
Tape 1 = show 1 part 1 of 2
 Tape 2 = show 1 part 2 of 2 + show 2 part 1 of 2
Tape 3 = show 2 part 2 of 2 + show 3 part 1 of 2 etc.

I'm planning to stitch the parts together (removing the blank bits where
tape reverses) to end up with complete shows (normalised to minimise
clipping, using Cool Edit Pro 2.0) as 1 file (current bitrate of 44100 bps
gives approx. 100 Mb per 2 hour show. Is this too large a file size?
Mostly these tapes will be digitised using the same tape deck as they were
recorded on (A TEAC twin deck which recorded on both decks).
Will probably manage about 2-3 tapes per evening.
2 Things

   1. Until the issues with my server are resolved, where can I upload these
   shows? Is Gary's (Niag) server still available? I don't have an account with
   any of these file share sites such as MediaFire or RapidShare or whatever.
   Probably the reason I never bothered downloading many shows due to their
   limitations.
   2. At present the shows will be completely random as they are in complete
   disarray from when I was digging stuff out from when Ken was finalising his
   book. This will soon be resolved as "she who must be obeyed" has instructed
   me to tidy my study and is well under way, having thrown out over a dozen
   bin bags of books, giving me more shelf space to rearrange the tapes.

Phil

P.S. These shows are from 1987 onwards (about 300 tapes between 1990-2)