Peel and 6 Music?

Stuart Mchugh stuart@...
Sat Mar 6 13:33:28 CET 2010

I'm lucky enough to not have to listen to new music on the radio as I
get sent more than enough, but it's clear that 6Music is *supposed*
to be the alternative choice on UK radio. Plus, while the evening
shows (as mentioned by Ken et al - Freakzone, Lard etc) are pretty
groundbreaking, I'd quite like something a wee bit more 'edgy' during
the day, when I'm in the kitchen etc.

So I put on 6Music this morning. Turned it off shortly afterwards
though. Andrew Collins is probably a typical presenter, music fan/
journo/semi-celebrity off the telly. The biggest problem is, for a
station with 'Music' in its name, the amount of chat. 20 minutes, 3
songs. Entertaining enough blather, yes, but I can get that on Radio
2 (and in fact, I accidentally turned on Jonathan Ross, and it was
the same format, Ross with a sidekick, wittering on, even down to the
speech defect).
Music played: Mumford and Sons, The Sweet, and Lloyd Cole. Playing
when I got back from the shops: The Barenaked Ladies.
I should point out that this was 6Music's musical choice. not R2!

I blogged about this already - http://stuartmchugh.com/6musics-
inevitable-demise. (I've realised that while I mention Peel's name
twice there, I've managed to avoid suggesting what he might have made
of it!)
Since then the 'consultation has started - https://
consultations.external.bbc.co.uk/departments/bbc/bbc-strategy-review/
consultation/consult_view

I've made the point a few times - they state that the plan is to
accommodate the "pop music" that 6Music plays onto Radios 1 and 2.
The Beeb's lack of understanding of what 'pop' actually is means that
6Music was just about strangled at birth.

No harm in trying to save it though.

>>> http://janb1982.blogspot.com/ <http://janb1982.blogspot.com/>
>>> http://rateyourmusic.com/~janb <http://rateyourmusic.com/%7Ejanb>