New Wave Prog 29/8/77 Reconstruction

jake rayytann@...
Sun Jan 10 18:40:07 CET 2010

Hi Eddie

Wow - I can't thank you enough for this!!!!!

you've made my day to put it mildly - almost as good as hearing the final whistle at old trafford last Sunday....

If you'd like me to send you a crate of beer or a bottle of the finest Polish vodka - just say!

I only recorded the last part of the show, starting after the first track in your file. The records the Revillos brought in for John to play were awesome, but there was also some good stuff later on - which included "Falling and laughing" by Orange Juice and "Curly Locks" by Lee Perry, which I'd never heard before and has since become one of my favourite tracks by the great man. As you can hear at the end of your recording, Simon Bates did finally call in from the allegedly haunted building in which he'd volunteered to spend the night – and after Peel had finished talking to him he remarked that it was the first time that any of the other radio 1 djs had appeared with him on his show, and seemed genuinely moved by it.

According to Ken Garner's "Peel Sessions" book the date of this show must have been 26/3/1981.

I don't want to push my luck, but I don't suppose you've got another show that was on one of the tapes that got lost when I moved house a few years ago?

This one was from September 1980 – the night that the second session by the Beat was broadcast. Apart from this great session there were some wonderful Peel moments during the show – at one point he spoke at length about the new Pop Group album before playing the track "Blind faith" at the wrong speed and then got extremely upset with himself for doing so. There was also a long and amusing anecdote about going to a trendy night club and feeling inadequate. According to Ken Garner's "Peel Sessions" book the date of this show was 22/9/1980.

If anyone out there has any of either show, please, please, please upload them....

Rgs

Jake