mixcloud

Stuart stuartb@...
Wed Feb 17 15:24:37 CET 2010

Hi Paul

Certainly the idea is interesting but the following FAQ from the PRS
website shows that there are exclusions to the repertoire of songs
allowed to be broadcast on internet streams:

Exclusions summary
MCPS Repertoire Works

• Key exclusions
The Anglo-American repertoire of Universal Music Publishing, Sony/ATV
Music Publishing and EMI Music Publishing and the Latin American
Repertoire of Peer Music Publishing and SonyATV Music Publishing.

PRS Repertoire Works

• Key exclusions
a) Repertoire where the composer is a direct member of the following
societies may be excluded in certain circumstances: SACEM, GEMA

b) Repertoire licensed by CELAS GmbH (EMI Music Publishing
Anglo-American repertoire).

Please note the licences covers the provision of music services to
consumers in the UK only.

Also many of the smaller bands including those who have done sessions
may not have joined the PRS and retained copyright personally or with
the Beeb, and would be excluded from the repertoire. The task of
perfecting track listings for shows would be immense especially when
trying to tie down those obscure tracks I mentioned and with no guidance
to which catalogue numbers were being played - JP played personal
imports, white labels etc and had an assistant to help keep the
paperwork in order. Some tracks might need to be edited out of the shows
including session tracks.

Of course it may well be that the tracklistings only need to appear to
be accurate, so it might be worthwhile doing a test upload and see what
happens.

Re posting via email, I have had problems also with the reply using my
email program, I think it appeared either only on the yahoo group or
only in the email distribution, but not both.

Stuart

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "psackroyd" <psackroyd@...> wrote:

> hi stuart, here's what i read on mixcloud's faq section which
initially prompted this chain of thought...

> Mixcloud is committed to supporting artists who appear in music
Cloudcasts and has an objective to provide a superior legal alternative
to file sharing. As such, Mixcloud is fully licensed by the PRS for
Music, and all playback of copyrighted songs contained within the
tracklists on the site are reported so that the correct licensing
royalties can be attributed to the artists.

> ... that, and that i read somewhere else that they want it to be the
'you tube of radio', in which case it'd need a fair whack of peel on it.
i don't know about the logistics of it all, just seems a really
user-friendly site, and although i'm sure dollar signs are the main
incentive behind starting the site, there seem to be some good
intentions behind it all too... as far as the bbc issues, don't know
where to start with that! i've seen some radio 1 shows on there already
but only in passing...

> as for the tapes, does make it better that it's more of a gap filling
job. i can't promise when i'll get the chance to make a start on it but
in the near future - first step i'll check the wiki for details of what
you're missing and dig out what i've got, though if i can't complete
those years for you i'll be surprised.

> one last thing, i tried just replying to this message on my email but
it returned it undelivered, the same as the first one i sent a couple of
hours ago, and i've had to log in to yahoogroups to send - what's the
right email to use to send group messages? i checked my settings and
they seem ok...

> cheers
> paul
>

> --- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "Stuart" stuartb@ wrote:
> >
> > Hi Paul, and thanks for delurking!
> >
> > You'll see from the wiki that there are quite a few shows online
from these years but also quite a few gaps in each year, sometimes
lasting a month or two. So I'm sure that if you wished to share your
work, there will be some great new stuff there, but by the same token
you would not feel that to start the job you would be there forever, as
it would be a case of gap-filling.

> > Mixcloud - looks like a great idea for current DJs choosing from an
approved track list, kind of a variant on the Spotify model. But I
really can't see this startup company having negotiated royalties with
every possible past and present performer and their record companies,
not even Last or Spotify have managed that yet. I can't see that airing
an old JP show with a barely identified, obscure, or in some cases,
unannounced track from the early 1980s would trigger an automatic
royalty payment to the proper recipient.

> > Then there's the legality of rebroadcasting an old BBC radio show -
especially if recording royalties are being examined on a track by track
basis.....

> > It would be possible already to create Spotify playlists and indeed
some Festive 50 playlists have been created, but there are big gaps due
to the non-universality of royalty agreements.