[peel] the captain is dead

Thomas Blatchford tabdrinkink74@...
Mon Dec 20 01:10:53 CET 2010

I think you may be directing your anger at the wrong group of people here, Alan.
Fans of Peel are some of the most likely people to have listened to and loved
Beefheart while he was alive, and would have continued to since his retreat into
the desert as well, surely? The latest Magic Band shows seemed to be rapturously
received as a celebration and vindication of Van Vliet's musical genius even if
the man himself wasn't involved. I can kind of understand where you're coming
from as i felt a similar way when Peelie died - i did wonder how many people
eulogising about how vital his role in pop music continued to be had even
listened to his show in the last, say, twenty years - and it is an odd situation
in terms of 'missing' him as a rock musician after death as it doesn't exactly
change the rate of his recent musical output. But even with the sadness of the
situation generally it's still a shame to know the possibility of any further
LPs is now gone, unless one of the many record labels that he released on decide
to do a Jacko with some of his old tapes (or a proper reissue of Lick My Decals
Off, Baby finally happens, fingers crossed). Regardless of that, to imply that
Peel fanatics have been "indifferent" to Beefheart's music for the past thirty
years, despite the lifelong mutual admiration between John and the Captain,
seems a bit short-sighted.

Anyway. i join your sentiment in sending my condolences to his friends and
family, and fans.