Edited version of "Dandelion Radio News - August 2010"

Paul Webster paul@...
Sun Aug 15 20:34:24 CEST 2010

It is not very often that we blow our own trumpet here in the Peel group.
But I thought that those of you who are still listening to new stuff might be interested.

You will see that we are working on a compilation CD - called Broadcast One
If you have a Facebook account and a bunch of friends with similar musical tastes to ours there then it would be great if you could help promote this by going to
http://www.dandelionradio.com/broadcast
And click the "Like" button to help spread the word.

For those of you who are already subscribed to our news email - I apologise for the duplication.
For those of you who would like to get it first hand after having had a look through ... You can subscribe to a Yahoo version via
Sending email to
DandelionRadioNews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Or you can sign up from our web site.

Hello and welcome to our August newsletter, with details of the current schedule (including Rocker and Andy hitting their Dandelion "bull's-eyes"); info on commercially-released Dandelion Radio sessions; some very exciting compilation album news; gossip from our presenters; and Mark Cunliffe in our DJ showcase feature. Go to www.dandelionradio.com to hear all our latest shows, of which these are selected highlights…

LATEST NEWS:
Dandelion's August schedule loops every 18 hours and includes 8 shows. This month's sessions have a European flavour, coming from Gothenburg's Liechtenstein (Rocker); Edinburgh's Tactus (Mark Cunliffe); Slovakia's Urbsounds Collective (Marcelle); Liverpool's Crescendo (Mark Whitby); Vacuum Spasm Babies - also from Edinburgh - and Copenhagen's Ghost Society (both on Andy's regular show). Andy also contributes an additional show: the return of 'Andy's Archives'.  As the only DJs to have featured in every schedule since Dandelion Radio began, Rocker and Andy achieve the accolade of presenting their 50th regular, monthly shows – so congratulations to them both!

AUGUST SHOWS – STREAMING NOW:

Andrew Morrison | Marcelle | Mark Cunliffe | Mark Whitby | Andy's Archives | Matt Jones | Pete Jackson | Rocker

BUY A PIECE OF DANDELION RADIO HISTORY:

Dandelion Radio has broadcast over 160 sessions (164 to be precise) featuring exclusively-recorded tracks from loads of our favourite artists.  A small number of these have been released commercially as CDs and digital downloads.  Follow the links below to get your own copies of these excellent sessions and help support the acts we love:

• The Manhattan Love Suicides (May 2009): the final recordings they ever made, this is available as the ‘Dandelion Radio Session' CD EP on Odd Box Records (ODD009) from http://oddboxrecords.com/shop/release_details.php?cat_no=ODD009 + download on iTunes at http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/dandelion-radio-session/id365830054.

• Spiral Into The Storm (July 2010): broadcast just last month, this session is available to download under the title ‘UK Radio Session > In Dub' from eMusic right now, and other download sites from 28 September – links and more info at www.decibelpalace.com.

• The Chasms (September 2009): this classic session was released as ‘The Chasms Vs Dandelion Radio' on CD EP (CTD-002) + download, both from Command To Destroy Records at www.thechasms.co.uk.

• Decoration (June 2007): included as bonus tracks on the American edition of their debut album, ‘Don't Disappoint Us Now', CD on Entangled Records (ENT 02) + download from iTunes at http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/dont-disappoint-us-now/id287872114.

• Wire Mother (June 2010): released as the digital EP ‘Up And Atom' on several download platforms by net label Yeah! (YEAH0001), download links at http://www.yeahlabel.me.uk/?page_id=68.

• Cygnus X-1 (April 2010): three of the four tracks from this session are included on Cygnus X-1's second album ‘The Next Logical Step', CD + download from 9 Volt Records (9VR-07) at www.9voltrecords.com.

COMING SOON – DANDELION RADIO'S FIRST COMPILATION:

If the above releases aren't enough to satisfy your appetite for session tracks, keep your ears peeled and eyes open for news of the forthcoming Odd Box Records compilation album ‘Broadcast One: New Music Handpicked By Dandelion Radio'.  Our DJs were asked to select some of their favourite music for this various artists CD, to be released later this year.  For news updates and an early peek at the cover art, visit www.dandelionradio.com/broadcast.

DJ NEWS + GOSSIP

• Andrew Morrison is the second Dandelion Radio DJ to be featured in the ‘Your Records & You' section of music blog l'Apartament 18, answering questions about his show, record collection and more. Read the in-depth interview at http://apartament18.blogspot.com/2010/08/your-records-you2-andrew-morrison_13.html

• Greg Healey recently discovered three excellent French acts: Ghost In Saturn?, Ooti Skulf and John Trap. Greg describes them as "the kind of music that makes you stop what you are doing". Listen out for them in his September show

• Rocker is a guest DJ at the Edge Of The Sea festival (curated by David Gedge) in Brighton on Sat 28 August – more info and links to buy tickets at www.dandelionradio.com/events.

DJ SHOWCASE – MARK CUNLIFFE:

Mark Cunliffe has contributed shows to Dandelion Radio every month since he joined us in December 2007.  Right now, he's enjoying playing the fruits of a recent world music festival in London's Victoria Park.  If you ever get chance to see London based Zimbabwean outfit Harare play live, he suggests you grab the opportunity with both hands!  Mark's really feeling the vibe coming out of America's west coast at the moment, telling us "that post hip-hop sound being peddled at the moment is getting right under my skin…in a good way!"  Mark's also loving the UK Funky vibe: "Bassline and Funky emerged in tandem, Bassline emanating in the north from Sheffield, and Funky down in the south: Kode9 is getting in on the act having just released a really cool single by Ill Blu on Hyperdub - go check!"

Mark also told us a little bit about his non-radio activities: "All this music lark happens in the evenings and weekends.  By weekday I'm an assistant in a Neuro Physiotherapy Department.  I love my job, I love my radio…..pretty cool eh?!"  Back on the subject of his shows, he told us "I'm in the middle of trying to sort out getting the Nico-esque Ruth Bellamy to record some material that might just be exclusive to me if I'm very lucky.  It will happen, it's just a question of when…  Nice one Ruth!"  To find out more about Mark at our website, visit www.dandelionradio.com/markc.

LISTEN NOW

To listen to our shows right now, visit www.dandelionradio.com – and while you're there, we'd love to receive your comments and feedback about the station at our guestbook!
Keep on enjoying the music.

Dandelion Radio

The Internet radio station inspired by John Peel. Independent - Original - Uncompromising
"A blast of broadcasting nonconformity" (Q Magazine)
"A sanctuary of thumping, spirited weirdness" (The Guardian)
Listen to Dandelion Radio: www.dandelionradio.com