Babs

Stuart Mchugh stuart@...
Mon Apr 12 10:38:14 CEST 2010

> Re the Classic Ships series, he told us once that after it was
> broadcast he regularly received invitations to come and open
> yachting regattas and the like from people who assumed he must be a
> sailing fan, and he would write back and say that the only ships he
> was interested in were the ones that had a cinema and duty-free
> shops...

On that tack, I'm pretty sure John once 'did' a cruise, probably
cross-atlantic as a way to get him to New York without having to fly
- it was if I recall right one of those big boats with cinemas, sops,
and a lecture theatre, where he'd doubtless have delivered lectures
on music and life alongside the likes of Michael Parkinson and Joan
Bakewell (probably).
If I didn't dream this, it'd have been a bit later on, when the
cruise liner audience would have heard of him via his non-Radio One
shows.

Stuart Mchugh
po box 13516 linlithgow eh49 6wb ...  t: 01506 840063 ...  e:
editor@...