[peel] Re: Session request...please!

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Sun Sep 27 11:59:23 CEST 2009

At 02:00 27/09/2009, you wrote:

>Hi Martin
>
>Thanks for the response! I really look forward to receiving these.
>Yes, you're right, the EJ was a Wednesday show, and from what I can
>see, it was never repeated, so I'm not holding out much hope for
>that. As I said, a long shot: in fact, one writer about the other
>session on that CD thinks that the only reason they put the DLT
>Sunday show session out was because the masters for the first
>session were 'lost'.
>Or perhaps they're in some collector's hands, because in one of the
>shows put up by B, John talks about the session tapes, and says that
>originally the BBC was only allowed to keep them for three months
>after transmission as part of the contract with the artist, and
>after this time had elapsed were often put in a skip outside and
>people helped themselves to what they wanted, which is pretty
>incredible. Can you confirm the truth of this, Ken?
>
>Best wishes
>Steve [TK]

Bang Bang Machine

http://www.divshare.com/download/8662477-6b2

Sugar Cubes

http://www.divshare.com/download/8662507-c45

You've a lot of things against you to get 1968 sessions
The battle then was to get records on the air rather than sessions because of
needletime and people didn't regard sessions as important
So too many got chucked away or the tapes reused
Added to that not too many cassette recorders about and low level mono radio
broadcasts mean very few off-air recordings

martinw