[peel] Re: More Old Playlists 1968-69

mickcapewell michael.capewell@...
Sat Nov 14 16:02:41 CET 2009

  I'm with Martin on this one. Peely was a real fashion chameleon and there was so much 'prog' released between 71 and 75 that I don't think John could have done his job if he didn't like it !

  **** Ah, but I never said he didn't like all of it. My point is that he quite liked the early Prog, or 'Underground' as it was also called circa '69, but his interest waned to the point that he became openly critical. Listen to the surviving tapes from 69/70 and even then you can hear him perk up when the proggy/ classical rock stuff ends and he's able to put on a Beefheart track or an old acoustic Blues, or some folk or some obscure American singer.
  Yes, he did like The Nice and early Yes, but he didn't like ELP or post Yes-album Yes (too many Yes' in that sentence!)

  I wonder if he played anything from the album regarded as the apex of prog, "Tales From Topographic Oceans" .......

  **** By then he was able to leave that to Fluff's Saturday Rock Show ;-)