[peel] Re: More Old Playlists 1968-69

mickcapewell michael.capewell@...
Fri Nov 13 16:26:21 CET 2009

  In concert's were presented by all sorts of people

  **** Yes I know. When did Peel stop doing them? Late '71?

  Peel was always interested in what was 'cutting edge' music at any given time. At one time that was what is now known as progressive rock
  Just about any progressive band you can think of got it's first radio play on Peel and that includes Yes, Genesis E.L.P and even Mike Oldfield

  **** It seems to me that he played Progressive Rock without much enthusiasm, unless it was truly strange stuff. I know he liked the early Yes but soon went off them. I don't think he ever played ELP, despite being a champion of The Nice's early stuff. Oldfield had been a member of Kevin Ayers & The Whole World, and Peel was certainly enthusiastic about them!
  Anyway, I wasn't questioning Peel's commitment to 'cutting-edge' music. All I said was that it now sounds strange to hear him waxing lyrical about such a band as Atomic Rooster, in much the same way as you can peruse his old columns in Disc & Music Echo in which he praises Dave Mason (for example) to the skies. I'm not doubting that John's views were anything but genuine, but with the benefit of hindsight it's strange, and a little bit funny to hear (and read) this old stuff ;-)