[peel] Re: More Old Playlists 1968-69

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Fri Nov 13 15:41:43 CET 2009

At 13:39 13/11/2009, you wrote:

>Y'know, I can't help but wonder why there are few, if any, shows
>from 1971-73 anywhere. Surely some were recorded, although I suppose
>that sound quality may be an issue, seeing as Top Gear moved from
>the afternoon to a late night slot, and from my old memories of
>listening to Radio 1 in the Midlands, some nights it was, literally,
>unlistenable.

There were receptioon issues as I recall

>As for the In Concert show...when did Peel stop introducing it?
>There are dozens...(hundreds!) of In Concerts doing the rounds, both
>dodgy and legit. Trouble is, sometimes 'legit' releases have live
>recordings that are not credited as BBC shows, presumably in an
>attempt to avoid paying anything to the BBC.

In concert's were presented by all sorts of people

>Angel Air issued "Live & Raw" by Atomic Rooster, with previously
>'unknown' tapes from 2 live concerts provided by guitarist John
>Cann. These shows are BBC In Concert programmes recorded off-air,
>including Peel's intros. It's strange to hear him effusively
>praising Atomic Rooster,
>(including Carl Palmer!), given his well-known opinions on
>Progressive Rock ;-)

Peel was always interested in what was 'cutting edge' music at any given time.
At one time that was what is now known as progressive rock
Just about any progressive band you can think of got it's first radio
play on Peel and that includes Yes, Genesis E.L.P and even Mike Oldfield

martinw