Completists - how do you store and play all your shows?

Stuart stuartb@...
Fri Nov 13 15:39:58 CET 2009

Yeh it is (and I'm glad of it) an ever moving and expanding collection, there must still be many recordings out there in folks' attics who just aren't aware of this project.

I also splashed out on a 1Tb external, which is probably quarter full now of JP stuff. This I use to shuttle my collection between my home PC and the one where I stay when I'm working, and back up the contents onto one of the PCs.

The file structure is split between sessions, shows and individual F50 playlists.

The shows organised into a folder per year.
I preface all show names with yyyy-mm-dd so that they can be organised by date order. Mixtapes of uncertain vintage are usually labelled yyyy-mm-xx or yyyy-mm-d1d1-d2d2 or yyyy-xx-xx depending on how much I know about the show dates. Then using Media Monkey I batch copy the file names to the track title tag so that they can be sorted the same way by iTunes etc which don't look at Folder/filename structures.

About half of the collection is on my iPod classic, synced to the external HDD, so that I can play shows in the car. Some wma shows I need to duplicate to aac or mp3 to play on the iPod.

On my home PC I run Flowserver so that all the shows on the external HDD are browsable/playable on a Pure Evoke Internet Radio connected to the main hifi.

I doubt whether I would ever need to get a bigger HDD to store it all, but I'm probably at the two iPod stage, though obviously I don't need the whole collection on an iPod at the same time!

Stuart