Andy Kershaw

Tom Roche troche@...
Sat May 2 22:16:16 CEST 2009

I have a friend who works at the Kansas City Star who manages a US
TV/Media website called tvbarn. Every now and then I write him
back-channel to say hey, what did you think about, say comment number
26 by so-and-so concerting that recent article you posted. And he
always messages back to simply say: "Never read any comments. They
will give you cancer." And he has a point, 'cos here in the US the
comments section of any news article - and especially political
pieces -  can be woefully embarrassing displays of uncivil
cluelessness.

But I have to say, I read all the comments to Kershaw's
blame-everyone-but-me essay in the Independent. Sadly, sometimes
someone like Kershaw has some valid points to make, but then proceeds
to verbally pound the reader into submission making said valid
points. He didn't step back and take a deep breath and look at the
article as a whole, big-picture. He tried to say he is now a changed
man, a now-harmless puppy, yet he went on and on bitterly stirring
new conspiracy theories.

A number of the commenters pick up on this. And others just look at
his point-by-point (by point by point by point by point) arguments
and rally to his side.

He claims to be a changed man, but he doth protest waaaaay too much
in my view. Peel himself told me Kershaw was an amazingly good DJ
with a shockingly serious temper.

He has only been out of jail a little over a year, but has a lifetime
of issues to make right. I wish Andy well. Reading his Independent
piece, one can see he is on the way to making serious changes in his
life.

But he has inadvertently revealed he still has quite a distance to go.

tom in atlanta