Those Top Gear extracts...

ken garner ken_garner@...
Sat Jan 31 18:01:38 CET 2009

Many thanks to Andy for these wonderful fragments from the first really triumphant period
of Top Gear, summer 68, (but which I have to say, only confirm once again to me that, at
the risk of offending some here, Peel was a much better presenter in latter years), and to
Steve and Eddie for doing the dating work.

Having now consulted the old PasBs I have for these shows (from doing IST back in 92),
it's noticeable that all 3 extracts are from the last half hour of the show, and the original
taper edited out several tracks or session items he evidently did not care for (much like we
all mostly did). Which tells us more about the recordist than the shows, but I wonder if
Andy can tell us if these clips come at the end, or beginning of tapes, because the next
show after Top Gear (3-5pm Sunday) at this time was Pick of The Pops, the Top 40 at 5pm
with Fluff! Any bits of those on the tapes later, eh?

Anyway, here's a glossed version of the track listings, indicating the omissions. The PasB
scripts for Top Gear are pretty reliable, save for the occasional misspelt/misheard title.

~

9/06/1968
The Idle Race - On With The Show (session)
Taj Mahal - Everybody's Got To Change Sometime
Peel Link:"Name Bernie's Tortoise"
Eclection - Confusion (session)
Spooky Tooth - Love Really Changed Me
Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band - Kandy Korn (session)

[Edited out: Kenny Everett record – It's Been so Long (MGM 1421)]

The Who – Call Me Lightning
Joe Cocker and the Grease Band - I Shall Be Released (session)
Sprit - Uncle Jack

[Edited out: The Idle Race – The Morning Sunshine (session)]

Tyrannosaurus Rex - Graceful Fat Sheba

[Edit: NOT FROM TOP GEAR: Otis Redding - The Happy Song (Dum-Dum)]

[show concludes after T Rex with final Eclection session track `In the Early Days'; Beefheart
`You Gotta Trust Us', closing sig, 4.59pm]

~

16/06/1968
Tim Rose - Hello Sunshine

[edited out: Gilbert – Disappear
and
Gilbert - Better Than Valentino (session tracks)]

Crazy World of Arthur Brown - Rest Cure
The Nice - Little Arabella (session)

[edited out: The Glass Menagerie – You Didn't Have to Be So Nice]

Chicken Shack - You Done Lost Your Good Thing Now (session)
Ars Nova - Fields of People
Tiny snippet of Peel introducing Donovan's "Hast Thou Seen The
Unicorn?" session track

[show continues with Closing sig, end of show 4.59pm]

~

30/6/1968
Savoy Brown – Mr Down Child (session)
The Nice - America
David Bowie & Tony Visconti Orchestra – When I'm Five (session)
Pink Floyd – Corporal Clegg
Traffic – Feelin `Alright (session)

[edit] closing sig, end of show, 4.59pm]