thebarguest thebarguest@...
Thu Jan 29 10:53:32 CET 2009

Hi Ken.
       Thanks for that - should be great (6 hours) !

I tried to tape it on a tiny mono radio/cassette in an Oxford
hotel room but something technical went wrong .....

      I remember a Fall connection to the event, which is confirmed
by the extract below from the BBC website. The Fall seem to have
played ; I can't remember whether they were broadcast.

www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/images/pdfs/John_Peel_Biography.pdf

"John's 60th birthday in August 1999 coincided with the many
retrospectives and celebrations surrounding the end of the
millennium. The Radio Times put him on its front cover with a
headline that read `Do You Think I'm Sixty?',BBC Two televised
a `John Peel Night',which included a Peel documentary with
contributions from anyone who was anyone in music. John's actual
party was not televised, but it was a cracker nonetheless. The
Fall,Cinerama and Dave Clarke all performed live.Perhaps the most
magical part of the nightcame when John was presented with a gift
from The Undertones' Damian O'Neill.As legend has it, Damian was in
his loft one day and found the original hand-written lyrics for
Peel's all-time favourite song `Teenage Kicks'. As it was John's
birthday soon, and as he loved the song so much, Damian framed the
lyrics and gave them to John at his party.John was suitably moved,
yet another rock `n' roll circle was complete, and the world of music
looked on approvingly."

Bye
tbg

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "ken garner" <ken_garner@...> wrote:

> I am currently working through ripping all 6 hours of what was
deemed Peel Night, for his
> 60th birthday, 30/8/99, long job, hang on a few weeks, ok?
Alternatively I could start
> issuing it in one hour installments! I am not sure The Fall are
featured, though... They
> were in the 50th Birthday show, which is here:
>
> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4ZGSLF9E
> and
> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G5ACOJ6D

> --- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "thebarguest" <thebarguest@> wrote:
> >
> > I seem to remember Peely's 60th birthday bash show being a
> > nice one, with some live bands, like The Fall ....
> >
> > Thanks in advance if yourself (or anyone else) can share !
> >
> > Regrads,
> > Adam Chance
> >

> > --- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "andrewthezmore" <AndrewThezmore@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Doc
> > >
> > > I've got that show in the loft - I'll add it to the next (long
> > > overdue) batch to 30242. Any other requests for midJune99 to
> > > earlyJan00 shows? Be specific and you might be pleasantly
> > surprised...
> > >
> > > Keep up the good work on the wiki - much appreciated
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Andrew

October
> > > 1999, which featured live recordings by Lonnie Donegan and Half
Man