1986/87 Festive 50s and Ken's Book

ken garner ken_garner@...
Tue Jan 27 00:09:55 CET 2009

Quite right, sir. It seems churlish to point this out on Andrew's astonishing site and
collection, but something has gone wrong there. Footling around a bit further, I spotted
that what is labelled as the first part of the show of 22/12/91 is actually the opening of
the show of 5/1/92. Sorry. Can anyone help Andrew fix that?

Yes, and that is indeed my mistake on the FF shows of 86. I'll look that up in Radio Times
next time i'm in the Mitchell library. And thanks to Steve we now know the F50 and alltime
F50 of 82 started a show earlier than I thought...

...As I think I said here some time ago, at going to press time I was worried about space,
and seeing as it was broadcast dates for new sessions that mattered most, I edited down
what details I then had (culled mostly from repeat dates on session sheets and checking of
some years, but not all, wiht Radio Times) about the 'best of'/F50 shows to a summary
statement. But over the past year or so, helped by various persons here gathered - nods
to Brian, Jon, Paul, Steve, Steve and others - I've been revising, expanding back my shows
index to try and get all those end of year show details complete, and am getting there,
slowly but surely. I think we're now certain that the very last year which featured multiple
'best sessions of the year' repeats over the festive season was 1992, yes?

However, one problem likely to remain unsolved for now, is this one:

Sn 23/12/90 (Prophecy of Doom, plus 2 others unknown) F50 38-27

listening to Andrew's files, it's clear Peel played records that night first, then the F50, then
3 sessions in a row in the last hour - I guess so he could pre-tape it and get off early,
maybe? - but unsurprisingly those who were taping for the F50 stopped after the end of
the countdown for that night, and missed the sessions. I suspect this one will require a
visit to BBC Written Archives one day,