Reconstructionism

thebarguest thebarguest@...
Tue Jan 6 20:13:31 CET 2009

>>>Well, you can get more 'prog' than VdGG - in that VdGG doesn't
>>>carry the same Prog genes as, say, Yes or ELP. It's not really
>>>fantasy/whimsical/neo-classical based. Serious stuff, and on the
>>>outer limits of prog (see also Can/Neu-style Krautrock)
>>>......whimsical  Tolkienesque lyrics delivered in
>>>......a plummy English voice;

Shurely shome mishtake ! VdGG were as prog as they got. Just look
at the song titles from their 'Pawn Hearts' album :

1. Lemmings (including cog)
2. Man-erg
3. A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers (parts a to j) (23 MINUTES)

ie Jon Anderson 'eat your heart (of the sunrise) out' !!
   Very Tolkienesque and sung quite 'poshly'

>>>And remember too that Lydon namechecks Hamill's solo
>>>album 'Nadir's Big

"Ironically, while new wave's Year Zero ethos and its rejection of
musicianship, artistry and complexity might have seen Van der Graaf
Generator first up against the wall in 1976, they .. struck a chord
with figures like Mark E. Smith, Howard Devoto and John Lydon." (from
Trouserpress.com). Just do a google on Lydon + "Van der Graaf" and
you'll see other references to Rotten et al's love of the band.

>>>No, it (Glam) was the mainstream commercial chart music. Prog was
>>>the outsider/non-chart stuff in the early 70s

Prog was an album-only art form and Yes, Tull etc. achieved huge
album chart success in the UK and USA (top 5 albums).
Glam (inc Bowie, Bolan, Mott etc) was a dangerous gatecrasher into
charts dominated by Radio 2 slush-pop like 'Tie a Yellow Ribbon',
Osmonds, New Seekers. Glam was bisexuality/gayness, drugs, booze.

Punk in 77 was commercially successful - the Sex Pistols and the
Stranglers had several top 5 singles and albums.

die ende

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, markbursa@... wrote:

> >>Wow, a response !! Thanks !
>
> Lots of the old "prog" bands  had some of their biggest successes
> during and after 1977 eg Yes, Tull,  Genesis, ELP, Barclay James H.
> Pink Floyd etc.<<
>
> Genesis  became a pop band. Pink Floyd managed to bring a certain
amount of
> the  Zeitgeist into the excess with The Wall. It's certainly not
about elves
> and  pixies, is it. Yes had success through Trev Horn's AOR
makeover. Pimp my
> Prog!  Wouldn't say Tull or BJH had any marked increas in success
post-punk.
> More of  a steady slide into the margins. ELP were comprehensively
killed off by
> punk.  And rightly so!!!
>

> >> But, yeah, punk influenced those bands to trim  their
> excesses and stop those awful 20 min drum solos !!  <<
>

> Very few  of the proggers owned up to any punk influence. Most of
them were
> scared/confused by it. Almost all of them hated the non-
musicianship elements.
>  Result!
>
> Very few proggers actually seemed to understand (post) punk at
all.  Robert
> Fripp formed League of Gentlemen with Barry Andrews and Sara Lee.
Bill  Nelson
> retooled his sound. Most others either chugged on to a dwindling
audience Iin
> the UK - less so in Europe) or gave up.
>

> >>So maybe they
> were not prog any more ......... but they were  still called prog by
> the media.<<
>

> Careful with the terminology here. "Prog" (Capital P)  - as opposed
> progressive rock (small p) is now defined by certain elements  :
very flash
> musicianship, especially keyboards; insane time sequences like
25:12; classical/jazz
> flourishes; symphonic pretensions; whimsical  Tolkienesque lyrics
delivered in
> a plummy English voice; theatrical nonsense  on stage; complete
absence of
> any black influence, etc.
>
> These were all Very Bad Things post-77, and it's these Prog
elements that
> were wiped out.
>
> Not all the bands that were lumped in to the Prog movement
conformed to
> these stereotypes; certainly time has been kind to Pink Floyd in
that respect  -
> serious lyrical content; non-virtuosos in the band; blues
influence; much  more
> direct songwriting; songs built on texture/slabs of sound, not
baroque
> filigree etc. Van Der Graaf Generator likewise, to a lesser
extent. With added
> angst.
>
> Remember too that punk reset the counter but it don't  take long
for
> post-punk to start progressing (small P) - Wire, Magazine,  PiL's
Metal Box etc...

> >>You've got to remember, at the height of prog, glam  rock/pop
(like
> Slade) was the 'punk' of the day.<<
>

> No, it was the mainstream commercial chart music. Prog  was the
> outsider/non-chart stuff in the early 70s. But there wasn't
a "punk"  of the early '70s.
> The most "dangerous" stuff was probably the heavy rock of  Black
Sabbath, or
> acid/stoner stuff like Hawkwind.
>
> It is true that the 11-yr old Slade/T Rex/Bowie fans  became the 16-
yr-old
> Pistols/Clash fans. I speak from a position of authority  on that
one ;-)

> >>Incidentally, you can't get more 'prog' than Van der  Graaf
Generator