[peel] Festive 50 1976

Riving Ton deedeeramain@...
Sat Feb 14 18:22:15 CET 2009

I'm sure you have heard the anecdote about Rolf Harris mullering Stairway to Heaven at Glastonbury?
It turned out that he'd never heard the version by Led Zep either so somebody played it to him. With a shocked look on his face he exclaimed "oh my God! What have I done!"
Lovely!
By the way - Stairway is one of those tracks that I hate also - mainly from the boredom of hearing it on every pub's classic rock selection. Listen to Zep's BBC Sessions compilation (with introductions by Peel hisself - they made some great music!
I had a similar disdain for the likes of Hendrix, Doors etc until you do a bit of exploring and realise how talented they were also.

Pip Pip!

DeeDee

________________________________
From: John Gray <jt.gray@btinternet.com>
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2009 7:29:05 PM
Subject: Re: [peel] Festive 50 1976

I am in nodding distance of 60, have been listening to pop/rock music
since the late 1950s, and to John Peel since at least 1967.  I dare
say I must have 'heard' Stairway to Heaven in passing, but have never
actively listened to it and have never listened to a Led Zep album.
And I really don't feel that I have missed anything.

John Gray

On 14 Feb 2009, at 12:19, Alasdair Macdonald wrote:

Comedian Iain Lee has claimed on several occasions that he has never
heard Stairway To Heaven.