Top Gear - 5th Sept 1974

Stuart Mchugh stuart@...
Fri Feb 13 20:07:05 CET 2009

>> 2009/2/12 Alasdair Macdonald <wewalkforonereason@...>
>>

>   The wiki seems to be riddled with a semantic error: this mailing
> list
> is a mailing list; it is not a newsgroup.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroup
>
> http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/Peel_Newsgroup

I'd not seen that before - as it happens the reason this *mailing
list* was set up was because the moderator types on Usenet (I think)
refused to let me set up a Peel newsgroup. They were quite snotty
about it I recall, saying that the general 'indie' (or whatever)
category already covered that type of music, overlooking the fact
that apart from it being a very discrete radio show rather than a
music genre, Peel's shows covered such a wide range of styles that...
anyway, I think I lost patience or quite possibly the rag with them
and started this *mailing list* up.

Does anyone actually use newsgroups for discussions such as these any
more anyway?

Stuart

Stuart Mchugh
stuart@...