John Peel's College Date (1974)?

Eddie Duffy eddie.duffy@...
Tue Dec 29 16:12:29 CET 2009

All,

I recently got hold of a copy of something called Script ("The magazine of alternative radio") from June 1974. There's an interview with Peel inside, which I'll post up on the group soon, as for once the magazine is small enough to fit in my scanner.

Reading through the magazine's programme listings for June though, I noticed something called "John Peel's College Date" on Wednesdays (5pm - 7pm). There seems to have been a school holiday theme here as Mondays in the same slot had "Rosko's Discomania", Tuesdays "Alan Freeman's Youth Club Call" and Thursdays "Dave Lee Travis' Schools Out" (with Rosko's Roundtable in the Friday slot as usual).

Does anyone recall this show? I can find no reference to it in TPS: in fact there are no Wednesday shows listed in 1974 at all. Perhaps this was the precursor to the Mon & Thurs tea-time show (5:15pm - 7pm) that Peel acquired at the start of 1975...?

Eddie.