[peel] Re: Questions about Shows

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Fri Dec 11 01:13:19 CET 2009

At 23:41 10/12/2009, you wrote:

>I know some tapers who now convert their cassettes to cds.. and it
>goes back to those days. perhaps it is just that someone who taped
>shows isn't around... what I am looking for is the band Stonegrond
>who were broadcast on the Peel show on 27th October 1971.
>
>I know they did a BBC In Concert on November 23rd 1971 and also Pete
>Drummond Show November 11 1971.
>
>But since this is a Peel Group I wondered if there were any
>cassettes around somewhere.. and of course they can be converted to
>cd format if found.
>
>Evelyn

In 1971 Peel's audience was largely teenagers and students and
cassette recorders and FM receivers hadn't spread to them yet
Recording shows after dark on AM was out of the question because
of all the interference from European stations. There are virtually
no copies in existence from shows that early except maybe at the BBC
You'd have to be very lucky to get anything

The only thing I can think of is to ask Ken Garner to check with his
contacts in the archives to see if the BBC still had anything
in their archives.  Even if they have they couldn't let you
have anything for copyright reasons but at least you'd know they still
existed

martinw