Peel's second trip to Russia?

troche@... troche@...
Wed Aug 12 17:19:41 CEST 2009

There was a 30 min documentary that aired sometime in the mid 80's on World Service on Peel's Russia trip; I remember hearing it.

I may have a tape of it somewhere, but it would be with deep-static SW reception. The mini-doc may have run in Peel's regular BBCWS slot, or it may have been its own special. That I cant recall. At the time I did subscribe at some expense via overseas air mail to the BBCWS schedule guide "London Calling" (cute, eh?) and there was an advance write up about it. Maybe Ken could find those issues in an archive somewhere.

This recalls the staid BBCWS continuity announcers of the 80's and their often thinly veiled disdain for Peel's weekly show, usually along the lines of "Coming up at zero three thirty GMT,  John Peel and his sort of music."

Of course the all time classic, mentioned here long ago, was the WS continuity announcer who promised music on Peel's next show from Dave Clarke, Melt Banana, and Prince Far I, and pronounced the last artist as "Prince Far The First."

Good times....

tom in atlanta