Re: [peel] At Last, It’s The Good Friday Show

stephen phythian theallnewadventuresofspp@...
Thu Apr 23 14:29:41 CEST 2009

I realise that thanks for this show is long overdue but i've only just got round to listening to it. What a treat.
I remember this one the most as I actually went out and bought (and still own) The Fastbacks single played at the start.
I also love the fact that he plays 'Quoth' by Polygon Window. If you listen carefully you can hear the sound of thousands of radios in offices and factories being turned off! Superb!
Thanks again Ken.
spp

--- On Thu, 19/3/09, ken garner <ken_garner@...> wrote:

From: ken garner <ken_garner@...>
Subject: [peel] At Last, It’s The Good Friday Show
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, 19 March, 2009, 11:43 PM

Here, finally, is the last of Peel's five lunchtime shows from April 1993, and to my astonishment and I hope your delight, I can present you with the complete show minus only a few seconds. Until a few days ago, I was convinced I only had two-thirds of it, because one of my C90 sides was unlabelled on the box, and I assumed I had stopped taping about 35 minutes from the end. But when I put the tape on, I noticed I had actually labelled the B side of the tape, but not the box, so I had most of it. The context here was, as Peel announced the previous day, that for the Good Friday bank holiday of 9/4/93, his show would run, not from 12.45-3pm, but 1pm-3.30pm instead. So my tape side "a" begins a few seconds after 1pm – missed the opening – my old single deck autoreverse which I had in 93 flips over neatly from "a" to "b" at about 1.48pm; then I had to do a quick tape change at about 2.35pm (which means I lost the final seconds of the REM fadeout and
 Peel's back announce); and part "c" must have run until, or so I guessed, about 3.20pm. So I was also missing the last ten minutes.

So I went trawling through those four mis-dated fragments from these shows in the 17-DVD Torrent previously identified by others here, to see by any chance what I might find. The files are called "_RADIO 1 02 06 93 JOHN PEEL" and thereafter in the same format but dated "09 06" "16 06" and "23 06". "02 06" and "09 06" are essentially unedited 45 minute sections from the Thursday 8/4/93 show. But, miracle of miracles, what did I find in the other two? "16 06" continues with the Thursday show, then jumps to just before the Friday show begins, with Simon Bates being his usual modest self, and a touching, sincere thank you from John (not). I have extracted this section as a new short mp3 file, including the first number of Peel's show complete to prove the continuity, so there is an overlap with my own part "a". And then what do we find half way through "23 06", but the complete ending of the Good Friday show, unedited in the last 15 minutes! (after which it
 jumps back to fragments from earlier in the show). So I have created a new 9 minute long Mp3 file of the ending, with again an overlap from my own recording to prove the continuity.

So we have it all. I have not tried to connect them all up and edit down, partly because the Torrent files are at an appalling low quality rip, and partly to be able to demonstrate by the overlaps that nothing is missing. Taking away the overlaps and gaps, I have calculated these recordings' total duration comes to 150' 45", pretty close for a scheduled 2.5 hr show.

And as I hint above, for this final show Peel rediscovers his form of the start of the week, but is also clearly demob happy and frankly taking the piss in many links, somehow knowing he was never going to be asked to do this again. His comments on the George Michael and Queen record are priceless.

If the original source of the Torrent fragments is the collection of someone here gathered, perhaps a higher quality rip and eventual reconstruction of the whole to a decent level might be possible one day. But for now, enjoy!

ken

(ps. The timings and show sections indicated below are more accurate than my approximations when I named the files.)

Peel's last lunchtime INTRO (from torrent) 1993-04-09 (3' 16")
http://www.megauplo ad.com/?d= 8WXWG5WV
Peel at lunchtime #4, 1993-04-09a, 1.01-1.48pm (47' 09")
http://www.megauplo ad.com/?d= P626ISZD
Peel's last lunchtime #5, 1993-04-09b 1.48-2.35pm (46' 56")
http://www.megauplo ad.com/?d= RE8TIO79
Peel's last lunchtime #5, 1993-04-09c, 2.35-3.22pm (47' 05")
http://www.megauplo ad.com/?d= N3JE8288
Peel's last lunchtime #5, from TORRENT 1993-04-09d 3.21-3.30pm (9' 39")
http://www.megauplo ad.com/?d= 5JS0GN2H