An evening with JP

mickthepom2 mickthepom@...
Thu Apr 2 12:15:51 CEST 2009

In about 1978, I went to Leicester Poly to listen to John Peel be DJ. I asked him for his autograph (come on, I was only 16) and he wrote in my pocket book "John Peel is fat and getting fatter. John Peel." I still have it.

He told us all off for not supporting live music and that we should be at the Uni to watch Generation X. I think in retrospect I am glad that I didn't go and see Billy Idol - what a wanker he turned out to be.

Despite having played reggae, ska and punk all night, he finished off by playing Freebird for the two hippies who'd been brave enough to stick around.

Cheers John, you still make me smile