John's First Big Weekend

ken garner ken_garner@...
Thu Sep 25 22:45:34 CEST 2008

in Glasgow. I discovered these tapes unlabelled a few weeks ago while undertaking an
enforced clear out of my university office (to facilitate space for window repairs), where I
moved part of my tape archive in the mid-90s, for what reason now escapes me. I had
forgotten I had taped complete the two consecutive shows Peel had done live in October
1994 from BBC Scotland's old studios in Queen Margaret Drive as part of the Glasgow City
Council backed `Ten Day Weekend" music festival. So this week's downpod from me is six
hours of Glasgow-focussed musical entertainment, the highlights being perhaps Nectarine
No 9's session and the squeaky BBC Scotland chair (Friday), and the football match reports
from the Glasgow Herald's David Belcher, and John Williamson (Saturday). The Saturday
show is clearly the better and more eventful of the two, with more interviews and jokes,
though both are great musically, with the Frank Black and Teenage Fanclub session
getting a deserved repeat, and a spin of the H Foundation. There is also a brief mention of
me.

Listening to these over the past few evenings for the first time since that weekend, the
social whirl of those 3 days all came back to me. Peel, Hawkes and Alison arrived on
Thursday afternoon and after a meal in Long Fung we all went down to see Uresei Yatsura
at the original 13th Note basement café venue at the top of Glassford Street. We all teased
Hawkes for declaring without irony that he "really liked the chick on bass". On Friday
afternoon, I introduced and interviewed Peel at a packed GFT chat show, at which several
old pals of his showed up and an unknown woman presented him with a tray of pot plants.
On Saturday we went for lunch in Gandolfi's in Albion Street (Peel had the Finnan
haddock, still, I was pleased to note on a recent visit, a staple of the menu), and then a
crowd of us went to the BBC studio for the show, where, as Peel rightly credits, only the
BBC Scotland engineer Andrew stayed calm amid the mad onslaught of special guests and
features. Afterwards we trooped down to Mother India for a curry, then saw AC Acoustics
and Shriek at Nice N Sleazy's. I will never forget Hawkes' and Alison's blank faced
astonishment at emerging up the stairs onto Sauchiehall Street at midnight and,
confronted by the sea of humanity, noise, ambulances, taxis and activity all over the
street, asking "what's going on? Has there been some incident", and me and Stewart from
the BBC saying,  no, just a normal Saturday night in Glasgow, it's ok. John was somewhat
less surprised, I think.

peel 1994-10-07a
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8K9A6KPB
peel 1994-10-07b