Andrew T's C90's batch 2

ken garner ken_garner@...
Wed Sep 24 23:07:18 CEST 2008

Listening to these has stirred my memory and made me think I might have er, another
mistake in the book! I've said in print the show was the party at the ICA with
Delgados/Dreadzone- my pass can be seen on p159 - but now I listen to these tapes, I
seem to recall the party was perhaps not actually broadcast, but these 2 pre-recorded 1-
hr celebrations wet out instead. Lamacq kicks off the show live from ICA, true, but then we
slip into a pre-produced sequence, followed by a 1-hr Peel session retrospective. It was a
surprise party so Radio Times won't help. Unless anyone else remembers? Did Peel get 4
hrs, and the live sets go out later, not in these tapes from Andrew? The details are up on
Jon's peelsessions index page, which suggests, oh, hell, I give up: for the reasons below
there is no way I could remember. I suppose Alison Howe might recall...

About the party itself, I know it was wed 1 Oct 97 live from the ICA, The Mall, London. I
know coz I was there. The 30th anniversary of Peel's 1st show on BBA Radio 1. I remember
everyone teasing David Gedge upstairs at the bar because he was too embarrassed to go
and speak to Clare Grogan "but she's just over there, go on," we said. Emma and Paul from
the Delgados saying they couldn't believe all the famous people there. Mathew Bannister
being very genial. The plaque/letter from the Prime Minister being presented to Peel on
stage to universalastonishment. Of course you have to understand, I was very, vewy
drunk...