[peel] John Peel's 50th Birthday Surprise

rockerq@... rockerq@...
Fri Sep 19 01:18:38 CEST 2008

> <<The Wedding Present's set is on their 6 CD Peel Sessions set on Sanctuary
> Records (admittedly ripped from some other listener's
> tape, because for some bizarre reason only the Fall's live set exists in the
> BBC R1 archive,>>

er... I think I might be that listener!

David told me that when they were compiling the box set they found that quite
a few of the Weddoes' BBC master tapes had gone missing, probably because in
the days before digital masters, the analogue quarter inch reel tape was the
only master for each session or live set - so when the odd track had previously
been used on various releases (Tommy, Strange fruit etc), the original master
would have been sent to the cutting studio - and then no-one had bothered to
check whether they were returned to the BBC archive.

Rocker