John Peel's 50th Birthday Surprise

ken garner ken_garner@...
Fri Sep 19 00:43:17 CEST 2008

Here is this week's rip from my box, a complete recording of the 50th Birthday show
recorded at Subteranea London the night before Wednesday 30 August 1989, and
broadcast on that evening (24 hrs later). OK, so I know The Fall's set from the show has
been going round on the web for some time, and The Wedding Present's set is on their 6
CD Peel Sessions set on Sanctuary Records (admittedly ripped from some other listener's
tape, because for some bizarre reason only the Fall's live set exists in the BBC R1 archive,
not the other two or the whole show, even though the whole thing was pre-recorded
anyway!), but I haven't noticed The House of Love's set going around - and it's very
impressive, it's easy to forget how highly they were regarded for a brief time (compared to
the weddoes, who, sorry David, sound a bit ragged on the night, I think). But some of the
the best things about this wholly unrepresentative show are, I think, the intros: Walters,
The Shend, Scott Piering... and of course Peel's emotional speech at the end.

By the way, if anyone has any other more normal Peel shows, (when he was on for 90
minutes , 4 nights a week, mid-evening) from this golden period (April 89 - Sept 90), I'd
love to hear them..

ken

Peel 50th Birthday show 1989-08-30a part 1
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4ZGSLF9E

Peel 50th Birthday show 1989-08-30a part 2
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G5ACOJ6D