Essential...

saipanda saipanda@...
Thu Sep 18 07:51:23 CEST 2008

Very interesting. A similar kind of example (for live recordings) is found on the boards of
one of the fan groups of a certain "only band that matters":

http://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10

A word or two on this history of this. Many of the recordings were previously available on
an earlier version of the same boards. This was hit by big problems when a magazine
(Record Collector?) mentioned the site. Later, the "Megalist" took the whole thing to a
different level -- with the advantage now that the site itself doesn't host the recordings. If
links get broken, unavailable, people just ask for re-postings and fresh links are edited in.

No doubt there are many other similar band things people here know.

Think one thing about Peel shows is the vast number of them over so many years and the
fact that they're scattered around assorted sites and other places. Struck me that a huge
advantage on the cataloguing front is the famous DVD torrents that DeeDee put out last
year. This gives a whole block of stuff already "out there" in "one place". A while back, I
tried to give a rough listing of these shows on the Wiki:

http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/17-DVD_Torrent_Compilation

What I was trying to suggest on my last post here to Gordon is that with addition of the
400 Box shows and stuff posted here, the 17 DVD torrent could be the basis of a calendar
of Peel shows on the Wiki. This could fairly be easily expanded to take in full tracklisting
info, etc, people's collections (eg (the "Andrew T tapes"), shows put up on other websites.

Here's the links again for 1977, 1978, 1979 that I posted last time. (1979 doesn't really
include torrent shows right now.)

http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/1977
http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/1978
http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/1979

Thinking this could also be useful for the next few years (1980-82) to see where the 400
Box overlaps with things already available.

Actually, Rocker, I was rooting through my hard drive a couple of nights ago and came
across a show that I now think is 25 August 1978 (Tanz Der Youth, King, Wildcats
sessions) -- think this may be upcoming on the 400 Box. (Happy to repost this here if
anyone doesn't have it.) i haven't been able to trace exactly where this came from, but
think it was up here among the ones, mostly early 80s, shared at the end of last year. Does
anyone have a list of what all these were?

Suppose it is just a matter of cracking on with it. Just wondered if other people had ideas
on this general subject. Not so keen to plunge ahead if someone else has a big plan. Like I
said, I don't want to tread on other people's toes with this. On the other hand, if other folk
want to join in, I'm certainly good with that.

Sorry to ramble on again re Wiki. If anyone wants to discuss these things please feel free
to drop me an email or start a discussion over there. Many thanks again to all those
ripping 400 Box shows!

Cheers,

Steve W