"...for the first time in 23 years...!"

ken garner ken_garner@...
Thu Sep 11 23:01:47 CEST 2008

John Peel is Jakki Brambles!

By popular request here is Peel's complete first lunchtime show from Easter Monday 1993,
5th April. An unusual experience of course, but I think he really nails it. It may be heresy
here to say so, but I kinda like hearing his choice of stuff interspersed with the Madonna
and pop dance. Peel always resisted the `alternative' tag, preferring to describe what he
offered as a `supplement' to the charts. And he had done top 40 breakfast shows in
America and knows how to hold a show together at this pace. There are only really 4
ghastly records in the whole 2.25 hrs I think, although we might debate which ones they
are. And he delivers several natty features: a Camille Howard stride piano track, a classic
Peel Session, a P J Harvey track, and an awful European football club song each day. If
there is massed cheering, I could always rip the other 5 days sometime soon. This show
also contains his celebrated put down of Chris Isaak, to be savoured by all, and a delightful
moment in the album chart Top 10 rundown: "Eric Clapton: Unplugged - if only"

PEEL IS BRAMBLES show 1: 1993-04-05a, 12.45-1.30pm
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DYXW1XGE

part 2, 1993-04-05b, 1.30-2.15pm
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G43R4OIW

part 3, 1993-04-05c, 2.15-3pm