"then on Friday night we went through to The Arches"

ken garner ken_garner@...
Tue Sep 9 23:54:23 CEST 2008

And while we're on the Festive 50, here's a midweek bonus show I had no idea I had
until 5 weeks ago. If you had asked me "did you tape the Festive 50 in 1996?" I would
have denied it vociferously. Anyway, I must have had bad FM reception that night, because
my recording I discover is in mono, so I ripped this one in 320kbps mono, so on
headphones it sounds a bit odd, but OK through speakers. Otherwise as before, dolby on,
treble boosted. On paper I was expecting this to be not an especially thrilling listen, and in
truth it's hardly a rip roaring show (John does not seem that involved), but I still enjoyed
most of the Top 12 again, once I got there (especially Why? by The Sweeney, which I had
completely forgotten). There's a neat link to the 25 Years of the F50 show posted last
weekend, with the Billy Bragg number. I think I might have taped this because, like Peel, I
expected Arab Strap to be number one, a record that still absolutely perfectly captures the
place (Falkirk and Glasgow) and the times (mid 90s). The celebrated, right-on "24 hour
café" in Woodlands Road mentioned in the story eventually became a Beanscene coffee
house, and is currently in liquidation. Ach, well.

ken

Peel 1996-12-29 incl F50 12-8.mp3
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DU5BIEF3

Peel 1996-12-29b incl F50 7-1.mp3