Archiving the tapes

billfromnorthwales billfromnorthwales@...
Thu Sep 4 13:59:49 CEST 2008

OK, what I did was capture raw side 1 and side 2 of each tape as best
I could. Correcting at source (tape speed on cassette player ) when I
could and generallly spending all my time on best capture possible

These will be the masters and are saved as 44.1Khz 16 bit mono flac

Then I put all the "shows" into 1 mp3 file for each, cross fading
tape flips when possible, or fade in fade out where not, tweaking
speed correction, Eq and then generate an mp3 file at 192kbs.

On the first batch I got one complete, one nearly complete and 6
partial shows out of the 10 cassettes.

All now returned to Rocker

With the raw capture preserved as lossless files, when these are
distributed someone else can have a go at remastering if they feel
the need

Bill

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "bty997881" <roger.carruthers@...> wrote:

> Before committing my first batch to DVD and returning them to
Rocker, I just want to confirm
> that we're all reading from the same playlist wrt archiving, ie.
the .flac copies are just
> straight recordings, as they come, and not to be tweaked in any
way, right ?

>  The reason I ask is that although it would be normal practice when
archiving /not/ to do any
> EQ , pitch correction, noise reduction etc. I'm just wondering
where we stand on, say a tape
> that becomes one-legged in parts, ie. one channel fades to
virtually nothing but noise? As