[peel] Re: 1977 Festive 50 (a billion questions (very slight exaggeration))

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Fri Oct 24 15:04:07 CEST 2008

At 10:42 24/10/2008, you wrote:

>--- On Thu, 23/10/08, Martin Wheatley
><<mailto:martinw%40martinwheatley.plus.com>martinw@...>

> > Skin Revue) (6.43)
> > although released in 1972!
> > Song and artist were favourites of Andy Kershaw so probably
> > introduced
> > to Peel by him

> > Ferret
> > Another Kershaw special!
>
>I'm sorry Martin but I cannae let you away with
>these two! It was probably the other way around,
>Peel converting Kershaw. Peel was well familiar
>with Ry Cooder's work, all the way back to his
>Beefheart days. He was also fond of playing the
>odd old-time folkie as well......
>
>Cheers......Jimmy
Kershaw encountered the Oldham Tinkers when he
was social secretary at Leeds University
  - several of the artists he booked there reappeared later on his show

I'm sure Peel was very familiar with Ry Cooder
but 'Dark End Of The Street' was a
Kershaw speciality so I just picked up on the
connection bearing in mind that Kershaw
and Peel where in the same office at the
time.  However you may be right as this
sort of thing is all guess work