[peel] 1977 Festive 50 (a billion questions ( very  slight exaggeration))

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Thu Oct 23 01:00:00 CEST 2008

At 23:13 22/10/2008, you wrote:

>><<I suppose that makes the Calico Two instrumental also eligible then.>>
>
>No - Peelie would certainly have played (& voted for) the vocal
>version. The backing track had been used many times before -
>originally by Alton Ellis in the 60s.

I think Calico Suit was the version of Trinity - Three Piece Suite
which was probably the base of the version on the back of the
Uptown Top Ranking single which I had and which had 1 or 2
A & D vocal bits added possibly later than the pre
The actual backing track of Uptown Top Ranking was also used
on Marcia Aitkin - I'm Still In Love With You which was coupled
with the Trinity track on a 12" .   I'd guess those 2 tracks were
what Joe Gibbs was working on earlier that day

martinw