[peel] Re: Did the 4 Skins ever record a session

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Wed Oct 22 21:11:21 CEST 2008

At 19:49 22/10/2008, you wrote:

>Can we stop with this thread now because if we're going to
>ideologically approve all the Peel bands then we might as well close
>the group down and set up a B*Witched fan site. I think Bill Hicks
>summed it up best when he said:
>
>"They say rock 'n' roll is the devil's music. Well, let's say that it
>is; I've got news for you. Let's say that rock'n'roll is the devil's
>music and we know it for a fact to be absolutely, unequivocally true.
>Boy, at least he fucking jams!"

But we are not talking about what we approve ideologically but
what Peel did which is surely as on-topic as you can get
All I was saying was that after the initial burst of Oi Peel stayed
away from the extremes of it probably because of the political tinge
given to it largely by the writings of Gary Bushell

Peel was never consistent in these views either for himself or anyone
else and it's always easy to find exceptions  (Mark E Smith as has
been pointed out) but there were general tendencies and I don't think
it is wrong if any of us mention them