Mr Pedant Strikes Again, Re: Andrew's C90 Tape collection *3

ken garner ken_garner@...
Sat Oct 4 16:08:31 CEST 2008

Thanks, Gary and Andrew! But in there, the August 1989 show featuring a repeat of The
Telescopes is actually from the 29th, the Thursday, not the 28th as dated on the website
and file name. There was no show on the 28th.

This is a giveaway from Peel's opening link "Apologies about last night's show.. I did not
discover until Saturday that I was surplus to requirements". The show also sounds to me
pre-recorded, as the show normally was on a Wednesday night (but this week clearly held
over to the Thursday) throughout the 80s. Regular listeners spotted this at the time and
could always spot the difference, and Peel apologised often after the event for how he had
sounded. In the pre-recorded shows, Peel was always sounding as though he was trying
harder and had pre-scripted his links, and there were no obviously live oblique comments
on the news, that night's football, or what was happening on telly in the studio.