Problem tape

lorcan58 lorcan58@...
Wed Oct 1 21:31:19 CEST 2008

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "bty997881" <roger.carruthers@...> wrote:
> the tape becomes very reluctant to move in the middle section

The combined radius of the two spools is at a maximum around the middle
of the tape and the clearance between them is at a minimum. Any
wrinkles or unevenness in the tape that increases the radius even
slightly at this point may cause the two spools to touch each other,
and the extra friction can bring things to a halt. Many years ago I had
a cassette like this and the only solution was to cut the tape around
the middle and put the two halves into two new cases. A bit extreme I
know...

Lorcan