1977 Festive 50 'definitive' update

spib2003 bill.spiby@...
Sun Nov 16 13:01:42 CET 2008

Dear all,

Here's the `definitive' list of the versions played during the 1977
Festive 50, along with other eligible versions (at that point in
time) based on my own best guesses, input from you all (many thanks),
Ken's kind posting of the PasBs for the shows (any insight as to why
tracks 15 and 16 are missing Ken?) and the existing recording of the
broadcast of tracks 14 through to 1 (if someone can explain in really
really.... really simple terms how to upload it to share then I'll do
it (if not can post it to one of you to upload).

John Peel Festive 50 1977

1 The Motors - Dancing the Night Away
The Motors LP (6.35)
Eligible: Eligible single (3.13)
Session

2 Althea & Donna – Uptown Top Ranking
Single (3.55)

3 The Motors – You Beat the Hell Out of Me
B side of Be What You Gotta Be single (2.50)
Eligible: Session

4 The Rezillos – I Can't Stand My Baby
Single (2.35)

5 John Cooper Clarke – Suspended Sentence
>From Innocents EP (2.50)

6 Desperate Bicycles – Smokescreen
Single (2.03)

7 Merlene Webber – Right Track
Single (5.55)

8 Neil Young – Like a Hurricane
American Stars `n' Bars LP (8.14)
Eligible: Single (5.24)

9 The Clash – Complete Control
Single (3.10)

10 Frankie Miller – Be Good to Yourself
Full House LP (2.56)
Eligible: Session

11 The Sex Pistols – Holidays in the Sun
Never Mind The Bollocks LP (3.20)

12 The Lurkers – Shadow
Single (2.30)

13 J. Ayes and Ranking Trevor – Truly
12" (5.45)
Eligible: 1974 single release

14 Pink Floyd – Pigs
Pigs (Three Different Ones) (11.28) from Animals LP
Eligible: Pigs on the Wing 1 (1.24) on Animals LP
Pigs on the Wing 2 (1.27) on Animals LP
Pigs on the Wing (3.26) on 8 track version of Animals LP

15 Johnny Moped – Incendiary Device
B side of No One single (2.06)

16 Some Chicken – New Religion
Single (2.17)

17 Culture – See Them Come
Two Sevens Clash LP version (3.24)
Eligible: See Dem A Come 12" (6.56)
See Dem Dub (3.58)

18 The Motors – Emergency
The Motors (6.10)
Eligible: Session

19 The Yobs – The Worm Song
B side of Run Rudolph Run single (1.10)

20 The Boys – Box Number (939)
The Boys LP (2.33)
Eligible: Session

21 The Stranglers – London Lady
B side of (Get A) Grip (On Yourself) LP (2.25)

22 Sham 69 – I Don't Wanna
Single (2.05)

23 The Ramones – Pinhead
Leave Home LP (2.42)

24 Jah Woosh – Freedom Connection
Single (6.35)

25 Status Quo – Can't Give You More
Rockin' All Over the World LP (4.15)

26 Jeff Beck with Jan Hammer – Blue Wind
Jeff Beck with the Jan Hammer Group Live LP (5.50)

27 The Clash – White Riot
The Clash LP (1.56)
Eligible: Single (2.01)

28 Iggy Pop – Success
Lust for Life LP version (4.23)

29 Generation X – Your Generation
Single (3.11)
Eligible: Session

30 King Short Shirt – Nobody Go Run Me
Single (5.00)

31 The Lurkers – Love Story
B side of Shadow single

32 Bob Marley & The Wailers – Waiting in Vain
Exodus LP (4.03)

33 Dr Feelgood – Paradise
Sneakin' Suspicion LP version (4.06)

34 Five Hand Reel – Cruel Brother
For A' That LP version (5.37)
Eligible: Dick Gaughan solo version on Sandy Bell's Ceilidh LP

35 The Saints – I'm Stranded
Single (3.25)

36 David Bowie – "Heroes"
"Heroes" LP (6.07)
Eligible: Single edit (3.32)
French language single edit "Heros"
German language single edit "Helden"
English/French hybrid full length version
English/German hybrid full length version

37 The Users – Sick on You
Single (3.20)

38 X Ray Spex – Oh Bondage Up Yours!
Single (2.45)
Eligible: Live version on Live at the Roxy WC2

39 The Boomtown Rats – Lookin' After Number 1
Single (3.06)
Eligible: Session

40 June Tabor – No Man's Land
Ashes and Diamond LP version (7.40)
Eligible: Session

41 The Damned – Neat Neat Neat
Single (2.46)
Eligible: Session

42 Ry Cooder – The Dark End of the Street
Show Time (Chicken Skin Revue) LP (5.00)
Eligible: Boomer's Story LP (3.25)

43 Suburban Studs – Questions
Single (2.57)

44 Elizabeth Archer & the Equators – Feel Like Making Love
Single (3.40)
Eligible: B side `Version'
12" version

45 Dave Edmunds – I Knew the Bride
Single (2.57)
Eligible: Session as David Edmund's Rockpile

46 The Jam – Away from the Numbers
In the City LP (4.03)

47 Wreckless Eric – (I'd Go the) Whole Wide World
Single
Eligible: Session

48 Roy Buchanan – Green Onions

49 Generation X – Wild Dub (Version)
B side of Wild Youth single (3.47)
Eligible: A side Wild Youth

50 Snatch – I.R.T.
Single (2.05)

51 The Sex Pistols – Pretty Vacant
Never Mind The Bollocks LP (3.15)

52 The Oldham Tinkers – John Willie's Ferret
Sit Thee Down LP (3.20)

53 Peter Tosh – Stepping Razor
Equal Rights LP (5.45)

54 The Clash – Capital Radio
Capital Radio EP (2.09) (Capital Radio One version)

55 Elvis Costello and The Attractions – Watching the Detectives
Single (3.43)

56 The Motors – Bring in the Morning Light
The Motors LP (3.33)
Eligible: Session

57 Eddie & The Hot Rods – Beginning of the End
Life on the Line LP (8.18)
Eligible: Session

58 Devo – Jocko Homo
B side of Mongoloid single (3.15)

59 The Buzzcocks – Whatever Happened To...?
B side of Orgasm Addict single (2.08)

60 Little Feat – Rocket in My Pocket
Time Loves a Hero LP

HONORARY
61 The Sex Pistols – God Save the Queen
Never Mind The Bollocks LP (3.20)

Off for a fortnight at Christmas, so will have a stab at unravelling
the 1978 Festive Fifty.

Regards
Bill Spiby