Simon Joyner - "The Cowardly Traveller Pays His Toll"

ken garner ken_garner@...
Mon May 5 18:52:52 CEST 2008

Eric Clapton's 'No reason to cry' lp, played in its entirety, Peel
Show, Friday 6 August 1976! Martin's right , it was a get-out of
needletime to play new albums, because they counted as 'reviews'. As
others here have confirmed, there were many many occasions when he
worked his way through an album, one track a night, from side 1 band
1 all the way to (in some cases) side 4 band 12. But after needletime
was abolished in 1988 I think it was quite rare for him to play
either an entire album in one show, or even an entire side, although
it did happen from time to time, The Fall and other favourites cited
here being obvious exceptions.

The debate over the mythical first broadcast of Tubular Bells, as I
document in my book, is that while he undeniably played side 1 that
night, I can find no absolute evidence, beyond the claims of Branson,
Oldfield, etc, that he played side 2 as well, though he quite
possibly did. I wonder if a tape of that show will ever turn up?
(29/5/73)

Not sure where that PJ Harvey story is coming from: she DID do one at
Peel Acres! Was it that her lawyers/managers then stopped her doing
any more of these?