[peel] Andy Who?

John Bravin john.bravin@...
Sun Mar 23 23:20:42 CET 2008

Hopefully Andy will be back soon in some form sharing his energy for music.

Meanwhile some more insight can be seen from Charlie Gillet's amazing
website and forum www.charliegillett.com

"However, all this is in the context of my feeling that I was sitting in
Andy Kershaw's seat, keeping it warm for his return and meantime doing
my best to provide for his audience. Andy had regularly played a lot of
UK folk music, and I have played hardly any. I always try to tailor my
shows to fit my perception of the audience that is likely to be
listening. If you asked me, would I have invited Pauline and Eilis to
sing on my Radio London show?, the answer is, probably not. But I am
glad that the combination of circumstances led to this session - I
thought 'The West's Awake' was marvellous, and some of the stories about
the songs were priceless too.

Curiously, this exchange comes at the very moment that the circumstances
have changed. From now on, starting next Monday, the slot will be called
World on 3 and the three presenters will no longer have the feeling that
we are temporary stand-ins for Andy Kershaw. We are here in our own
right, each of us being encouraged to choose whatever we feel fits into
the 'world' remit of the slot."

Charlie is a great unsung hero - having started in 1968 (and
interviewing John Peel in 1969 when he was releasing records on
Dandelion) he has been phenomenally successful championing lesser known
music.

If you haven't heard Charlie read this comment (from
http://assistantbrighton.blogspot.com), and then give one of his shows a
listen.

"He is, plainly, a true radical, never compromising his passion for
music nor resting on his laurels when there is new music to be explored.
It is plainly absurd that a DJ of his incredible originality and passion
never made the leap to national radio (apart from the World Service),
especially as he is a real trail-blazer in his field. On the other hand,
I have a suspicion that his charm might actually be best observed in the
spartan surroundings of local radio; unlike other DJs of his calibre,
Gillett has always worked alone, producing his shows as well as curating
them; he is the only radio presenter I have ever heard who played more
records at the wrong speed, or failed to turn the volume up more often,
than the famously shambolic John Peel."

John